Friday 3 July 2015

A Musical Journey - Part 4 The 2000s - Grown up

This post and the subsequent post will be shorter than the last, purely since I have an idea to do a weekly discuss a song a like. But I need to finish this post and an up to date one first.

In 2000. I turned 30.   Now if the press is to believed, in your thirties, your taste in music stagnates.

In my case, it was in my thirties, listening to both music from my youth and listening to non mainstream music.

Two bands helped me achieve this.  The first was a support band who blew me away. I can remember the gig, but can't remember who they supported.  It is a rare support band, that makes me go and buy their merchandise, let along a copy of all their releases they were selling that day.

The band in question was Oceansize.

 Music for a nurse

Women who love me who love drugs.

They quickly became and are still my favourite band, (though they are sadly no more).

The second band, came about due to a change in  job in 2002, where I went from coding embedded systems in Gas meters, to a rock no roll job, writing software to control live music mixing desks and PA systems.

It was during this time I was introduced to Porcupine Tree.



Arriving somewhere but not here.


Blackest Eyes

I was lucky enough to spend a day with their sound engineer on the Fear of the Blank Planet tour (when Amplifier supported).  

So this decidedly put me musically on a more prog orientated mode.   Saying that there are not many more prog bands I actually like other than Marillion (whom I'm liked since '84). 

The Mars Volta


Since you've been wrong

and The Pineapple Thief - 


All the wars.



The other thing I started when I was thirty was releasing my own music.


Shorewards (from EP2).

So I was spending more time messing with my own music than actually listening to music.  Plus I stopped watching MTV as it declined from music television to dull reality TV channel.

So yes my musical tastes veered away from mainstream and more towards.

The final piece of the puzzle, I suppose, we regard to my thirties, was my interest in photography.  I was going to lots of local gigs in pubs and clubs (as opposed to big acts).  So I was listening to a lot of unsigned music.

Recording my own music, meant I was hanging out a lot on websites like mp3.com and soundclick. Bands like Red Delicious (whom I was listening to just the other day) were quite big in the unsigned world back in the day.


Red Delicious -Untouched

Obviously, there were more mainstream bands I got into like Biffy Clyro and Elliot Smith.

 

Elliot Smith - Between the bars



Biffy Clyro - Living is a problem because everything dies.

Goldfrapp - Strict Machine.

Goldfrapp supported Duran Duran.  Another band I went out the next day and bought their back catalog.

So that is the Naughties.  I was still listening to the things I loved in the the '80s and actually, still going to see some of them live.  

I will leave you with this tune from 2000, which is one of my favourite tunes of all time.









A Perfect Circle - Judith.







No comments:

Post a Comment